General Description of Target of Opportunity (ToO) Observations
- Certain classes of astronomical transient events occur at frequent and unpredictable intervals (e.g. gamma ray bursts). Investigators wishing to study such events as a class are required to submit proposals at the time of regular proposal submission.
Procedure of ALMA Target of Opportunity Project
Preparing Target of Opportunity Observations
- ToO proposals should be used to observe targets that can be anticipated but not specified in detail. Like standard proposals, these proposals must be submitted by the regular proposal deadline. While the target list may be left unspecified, observing modes and sensitivity requests must be specified in detail for ToO observations. Associated with these observations there must be a clear indication of the number of triggers needed to reach the science goals of the proposal, what triggers the actual observation to be performed and the maximum response time for scheduling the observation after it is triggered.
After approval of your Target of Opportunity Project
- You are assigned a contact scientist who interacts with you in the creation of the relevant Phase 2 Scheduling Blocks (SBs). In this process, you should approve the final Phase 2 SB with basic instrumental setting.
Trigger your ToO observations
- Triggering of observations from accepted ToO proposals must be done through a web form available via the ALMA Science Portal. When a qualifying event occurs, the PI must submit a request for observation (i.e. trigger) through the dedicated page. The trigger will be monitored on a daily basis by the Astronomer-on-Duty (AoD) at the OSF.
- First the PI should go to the ToO activation form and enter ID and password to get access to the required form. Each trigger must specify which SB(s) to execute and the corresponding target coordinates (and velocity). In addition, the PI should specify the maximum response time compatible with achieving the scientific goal(s) of the project.
- When a trigger is received, an automatic acknowledgment will be emailed to the PI and the AoD will enter the provided target coordinates into the specific SB and execute the SB as soon as possible after the PI's confirmation.
- Depending on the exact timing of a ToO observation trigger, the reaction time for its execution may be as long as 2 weeks.
- Only observations within the context of the ToO proposal will be performed. Requests beyond the scope of the ToO proposal will not be accepted.